Order Complimentary Safety Items

November 2016 – Safety Article

We are happy to welcome the fall season and hope that you are looking forward to spending the holidays with your family.  As temperatures turn colder, many people might look to use their fireplaces and of course gas furnaces, for heat and warmth. During this time, Charlie’s House reminds the community to keep a few thoughts in mind to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas.  It has no taste, and can cause very serious problems as the gas builds up in the bloodstream.  Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, and confusion.  Inhaling too much carbon monoxide can be fatal!  Poisoning can occur over time.

Remember these safety tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in the home,

  • Place carbon monoxide detectors operated by working batteries on each level in the home especially outside of bedrooms. The risk is greater when people are sleeping and unaware of the potential problems.
  • Have heating systems, chimneys, and water heaters inspected on each year by a professional.
  • Never warm up your vehicle in an attached garage with the motor running even with the garage door open. It is BEST to allow your vehicle to warm up gradually as you start the car leaving immediately for your destination.  Never leave children unattended in running cars even for one second!
  • Do not use a charcoal grill in an enclosed space such as the garage. Do not use a gas range or oven for heating the home.
  • Get out of a home immediately and seek emergency medical care if carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected.

fall-leavesfall-leavesfall-leavesfall-leavesfall-leavesfall-leavesfall-leaves